Using essential oils for psoriasis natural treatment is twofold. The first aspect is actually applying some essential oils to the skin lesions and the second part is healing through scent since essential oils are usually very fragrant. The use of essential oils for natural healing goes back thousands of years and is the cornerstone of the practice of aromatherapy (Aroma + Therapy – get it!).
What is aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy represents the science of using various fragrant essential oils that are obtained from trees, plants, natural herbs, etc, in order to enhance a person’s health and well-being.
The popularity of aromatherapy is due to more and more people looking for natural solutions to various health issues as an alternate to conventional medicine for various reasons. It is science and art of using herbs and essential oils obtained from trees and plants in order to make use of their medicinal value.
Aromatherapy is popular mainly because this practice is a practical, safe and inexpensive means to better health.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils represent highly concentrated extracts of plants which are hundred times more powerful than the plant itself and can be very efficiently used in natural healing. Some essential oils are used for their healing scent and others contain properties that can heal when applied topically and many can be used for both purposes. For instance, lavender essential oil can be applied topically due to the skin healing properties it contains and its aroma is a great way to relieve stress and anxiety as well as insomnia naturally.
The topical application of essential oils such as lavender is because of their anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
This brings us to the topic of using essential oils for psoriasis natural treatment. There are a number of essential oils that have been used and continue to be used quite successfully to treat both the physical aspects of this condition as well as the emotional aspects of this condition. Suffering from this chronic skin condition can have a psychological impact in addition to the skin lesions that are produced.
The best essential oils for psoriasis include but are not limited to;
- Tea tree oil for psoriasis is a popular natural remedy and the benefits of tea tree oil for this skin condition are discussed in greater detail here.
- Lavender as mentioned previously is a stress and anxiety reliever in addition to nourishing and calming the skin due to its anti-microbial and disinfectant properties.
- Geranium essential oil is another of the best essential oils for psoriasis due to its ability to revitalize the body’s tissues.
- Rose essential oil is not only sweet smelling but its antiseptic and antibacterial properties can help to heal and calm the skin.
- Rosemary essential oil can help with psoriasis because of the antioxidants that it contains which not only support the structure of the skin but can help prevent damage to the skin.
- Helichrysum essential oil can help heal psoriatic skin because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Bergamot essential oil has calming effects on the skin as well as promoting emotional balance.
- and so on and so forth.
To use essential oils for psoriasis
If using topically, it is generally recommended to mix a few drops of the essential oil in a carrier oil because essential oils are very potent and can burn or irritate the skin. It is not required that you use a carrier oil. It all depends on how your skin reacts to the essential oil. Some people can apply tea tree oil directly to their skin lesions without diluting it in a carrier oil whereas others need this essential oil diluted before they can apply it to the skin.
If you use a carrier oil, excellent choices include olive oil, coconut oil, apricot kernel oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, emu oil, tamanu oil, etc. If you want to retain the aroma of the essential oil, using carrier oils with a strong smell such as olive oil may not be a good idea. Simply add a few drops of the essential oil to the carrier oil. Essential oils are so potent that only a few drops is all that you need.
The best essential oils for psoriasis treatment should be organic, cold pressed essential oils that are free of other additives.
- When using essential oils for psoriasis, try to avoid taking them internally as some a very toxic and consuming even a few drops can be fatal.
- Use a carrier oil to avoid skin irritation.
- Store essential oils in amber or cobalt colored glass jars in a cool, dry, dark place. Avoid plastic containers.
- Most essential oils when stored appropriately can last 1 to 3 years.
These are just a few tips on using essential oils for psoriasis natural treatment. Essential oils such as tea tree oil and lavender are especially popular for treating this chronic skin conditions so you should give them a try. Essential oils are not only great for topical application but are also great to help improve your mood which is an important natural way to treat psoriasis since stress and anxiety have been shown to worsen psoriasis lesions.
Besides using essential oils for psoriasis treatment, there are many other natural methods that are effective against psoriasis. Discover what these methods are by getting yourself a copy of the holistic guide Psoriasis Free For Life. This bestselling ebook details only natural methods that can be used to get rid of psoriasis. Find out more about why you need this guide, here.