Is using red clover for psoriasis natural treatment effective? Red clover (Trifolium pratense) which is a legume is from the family that includes beans, alfalfa and peas, is also known as purple clover, cow clover, trifolium, sweet clover, etc, and is one of the herbs that is recommended for various diseases and conditions including skin conditions such as psoriasis. It’s the red clover’s flowers which are used for natural healing.
Natural healing with red clover
This herb has been used for centuries for the natural treatment of many health conditions naturally including some of the following discussed below;
- Menopause symptoms – This herb contains phyto (plant) estrogens which are somewhat similar to the estrogen produced by the body but are less potent. In menopausal women, the body starts to produce less and less of the female hormone estrogen which leads to various symptoms and various herbs especially red clover which is a very rich source of a type of very beneficial phytoestrogens known as isoflavones, can help replace the lost estrogen during menopause which can help ease many menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes.
- Heart disease and stroke prevention – Menopausal women are at an increased risk of heart disease and studies have found that when menopausal women use red clover, it helps to prevent heart disease which is a leading cause of death in menopausal women. This is because this herb helps to improve arterial elasticity.
- Cholesterol reduction – Which can be reduced due to these isoflavones.
- Prevention of certain cancers – While this herb is no substitute for conventional cancer treatment, researchers have found that certain isoflavones found in this herb (daidzen as well as genistein) may have anti-tumor effects and the significant amounts of vitamin E (an antioxidant which prevents free radical damage to healthy cells) in this herb may also help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Can be used as a digestion aid.
- Can be used to relieve coughs, whooping cough as well as bronchitis.
- And so on and so forth.
Red clover for psoriasis
When recommended for the natural treatment of psoriasis and other skin conditions such as eczema, skin cancer, etc, external application as well as taking the herb internally is recommended by herbalists.
When using red clover for psoriasis natural treatment internally, it’s because this herb can help to detoxify the body and cleanse the blood while reducing inflammation. Many herbalists do believe that psoriasis may result from toxin build-up and using red clover to not only cleanse the body but also help to boost the immune system so that it’s better able to fight off various diseases and conditions including psoriasis, makes this a great natural treatment for this chronic skin condition.
Using red clover for psoriasis natural treatment
Red clover is one of the safest herbs and can be used on a long-term basis. As mentioned previously, this herb can be used internally and externally for the treatment of psoriasis.
When using red clover internally, make a sweet infusion (herbal tea) by adding 1 to 3 teaspoons of the dried red clover flowers to a cup of boiling water and allow this to steep for about 15 minutes. Strain and drink up to 3 cups of this infusion a day. You can also add the fresh flowers to something like a salad and eat it this way.
You may also find tinctures (alcohol or oil herbal extractions) and other commercial preparations of this herb. Simply follow label instructions on dosage when using any commercial preparations featuring this herb. When using a homemade tincture, take ½ to 1½ teaspoon up to three times a day.
When using this herb externally, apply a poultice or compress made from the fresh flowers of this herb to the skin lesions.
While this herb is generally safe for usage long-term usage, there are some issues with it that you need to be aware of such as;
- Some people may be allergic to red clover.
- Pregnant and nursing women should avoid this herb. Those over the age of 65 should start with a low dose and build up gradually if need be.
- If you’re on other medications, talk to your doctor first before using this herb as there may be negative drug/herb interactions.
- If you’re on estrogen-based birth control, talk to your doctor first before consuming red clover.
- If you are one of those for whom it is recommended that you avoid additional estrogen (man or woman), this herb should be avoided for internal usage.
- Those with a history of inflammation of the blood vessels or blood clots should avoid red clover because estrogen including the plant source can increase the risk of these issues. In addition, if you have a history of heart disease or stroke you may want to talk to your doctor first before using this herb internally.
Is using red clover for psoriasis natural treatment effective? While no one can say for certain whether this herb will work for you or not even though it may have worked for others with psoriasis, you should definitely give it a try based on this herb’s various healing properties.
Red clover is not only rich in various vitamins and minerals and it’s also considered one of the best blood purifying herbs as well as being able to help with detoxification which can all help with psoriasis treatment and prevention.
For more on the 10 best products for psoriasis treatment aside from using herbs such as red clover including some which may even be more effective than this herb, click here.