If you are looking for a natural remedy for psoriasis as a lot of sufferers do, you may want to look into shark cartilage. Shark cartilage is a natural remedy that is usually recommended for arthritis, pain, macular degeneration (from diabetes), cancer, psoriasis, etc.
What is shark cartilage?
Shark cartilage is derived primarily from sharks caught in the Pacific Ocean. It represents the tough elastic tissue crucial for support which is comparable to bone in humans. Various types of extracts are made from this shark cartilage and it is one of the most popular supplements and a most common recommendation especially for natural cancer treatment although the benefits for cancer treatment or for the natural treatment of various other diseases and conditions based on scientific research is not conclusive.
Shark cartilage is believed to work by inhibiting blood vessel growth and encouraging the production of mucopolysaccharides, which are carbohydrates that have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body. Advocates of shark cartilage claim that this helps to prevent tumor growth which is why they believe that is able to kill cancer cells although some studies have shown that it is ineffective against advanced cancer. Research studies on its effect on cancer in the early stages have been inconclusive also.
Its anti-inflammatory effect is why it is believed to be an effective natural remedy for psoriasis which is considered an inflammatory disease.
Being anti-inflammatory, shark cartilage is believed to alter the supply of blood to psoriasis lesions which require a large amount of blood for the rapid skin turnover which is why the lesions usually appear red. By altering the blood supply to psoriatic skin, it can help to reduce the inflammation associated with psoriasis.
How to use shark cartilage for psoriasis
While some sufferers apply shark cartilage topically to the lesions, some studies have shown that applying it this way is ineffective against psoriasis.
The better alternative that is supported by some studies is taking shark cartilage in oral form in either powder or capsule form which is available at many health food stores.
Before taking any shark cartilage supplements, do talk to your doctor first and do not take more than the recommended dosage.
- Shark cartilage should be avoided by those who are pregnant or nursing and definitely not before talking to your doctor first.
- It may cause vomiting, nausea, constipation, stomach upset, etc, and can leave a bad taste in the mouth.
- It may interact adversely with other medications that you may be taking so talk to your doctor first before using shark cartilage if you are also on other medications.
- If you are using other herbs for psoriasis, shark cartilage may also interact negatively with those other herbs.
- The acidic nature of certain orange, apple, tomato or grape fruit juices can reduce the potency of shark cartilage.
- Shark cartilage can also raise calcium levels which is something to keep in mind if you already have elevated calcium levels.
Should you use shark cartilage as a natural remedy for psoriasis? Possibly, especially if you are looking to cure psoriasis naturally. While there is no conclusive scientific evidence for or against using shark cartilage for various diseases and conditions which is understandable because this is a natural remedy that cannot be patented, you should certainly look into it since evidence of its anti-inflammatory properties have been clearly shown.
While shark cartilage may work as a natural remedy for psoriasis, for more effective natural remedies that can help you cure psoriasis, you must get the Psoriasis Free For Life guide. For more on this bestselling step by step holistic guide, click here.