There are many remedies to use for scalp psoriasis treatment at home and using oils is one of the top most effective home remedies. Oil treatment for the scalp and hair is very beneficial even when you’re not struggling with scalp psoriasis. If you use the right oils (cold pressed, unrefined for most, organic, etc), they still retain many healing properties which can be very beneficial and healing for the scalp (and hair).
Scalp psoriasis is so “out there” and can be so embarrassing for many sufferers especially when it is severe because it can look like a very bad case of dandruff and no-one likes to walk around with or see someone with what looks like a bad case of dandruff.
Unfortunately, unlike dandruff, the flakes associated with scalp psoriasis can’t simply be scraped off with a comb as this can actually make this condition worse. One of the best ways to reduce these flakes and heal the scalp is with the help of various oils which is why oil treatment is the top recommendation as far as home remedies for scalp psoriasis treatment at home.
Oils to use for scalp psoriasis treatment at home
There are so many oils out there that you can use for treating scalp psoriasis many of which have been discussed elsewhere on this site such as coconut oil, neem oil, emu oil, borage oil, etc, but even when these oils are unavailable for you, you can use oils that are more readily available such as olive oil.
You can use these oils alone or create an oil treatment featuring many different oils. Simply find the oils that work best for you. For instance, while coconut oil is an amazing oil, for some people it may not be the best for them because it can lead to dry hair that breaks off easily. In this case, they may need to avoid coconut oil or use it with other oils and not as the main or sole oil. Find what works best for you.
Oil treatment for scalp psoriasis steps
- Wet your hair.
- Apply shampoo to your scalp and massage it gently into your scalp using the pads of your fingers and not your fingernails (you want to massage your scalp and not scratch your scalp.)
- Leave on for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse and repeat the above steps.
- Towel or t-shirt blot your hair and scalp and avoid rubbing your scalp.
- Apply the warmed oil (or oil mixture) that you are using to your scalp and gently massage it into your scalp for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cover with a disposable shower cap or plastic grocery bag.
- Apply a heating cap (set on medium) or use warm towels that you switch out once they cool.
- Apply this heat for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- After removing the heating cap, let your scalp and hair cool for a few minutes and then shampoo to remove the oil. (You can also leave this oil on your scalp for a few hours before shampooing)
- You may follow-up with an apple cider rinse for even better results since ACV is very beneficial for treating all types of psoriasis. You may want to consider using this rinse which not only contains ACV but other healing herbs also. Massage the rinse you use into your scalp for a few minutes. Don’t rinse out but allow to dry or if using a blow dryer, have it set on cool.
This oil treatment can also be left on overnight which you should definitely plan to do a few times. For this overnight oil treatment, follow steps 1 thru 7 above. Steps 8 and 9 are optional. Simply leave the oil treatment overnight. Make sure that the cap or plastic bag you use to cover your hair and scalp is secure to prevent oil stains on your pillowcase. You may also cover your pillowcase with a towel as an extra precaution.
In the morning, simply remove the cap or plastic bag and proceed with steps 10 and 11 above.
Perform this oil treatment once or twice a week. In between oil treatments, use mouthwashes such as Lavoris and even Listerine gently massaged into the scalp to deal with the itching and scaling that may arise.
This is just a bit of information on scalp psoriasis treatment at home using oil treatment. Very good oils have been shown to be very effective for fighting all types of psoriasis including scalp psoriasis so be sure to use them in your fight against psoriasis. They are not only effective but inexpensive too.
For more on the best natural treatment methods for scalp psoriasis as well as other types of psoriasis, you need the Psoriasis Revolution guide which has helped many psoriasis sufferers have effective tools at their disposal which have helped them control their flare-ups and keep them to a minimum including severe cases of psoriasis. Find more about this bestselling holistic guide here.