If you are looking for an effective herbal remedy for psoriasis, chamomile is one of the top that usually pops up. This wonderful herb is also used for the natural treatment of many other diseases and conditions. Chamomile (matricaria chamomile and anthemis nobilis) is also known as ground apple, camomile, anthemis, matricaria, etc, and it’s the flowers that are used for natural healing. It belongs to the family that also includes marigold, daisy and dandelion.
The many healing benefits of chamomile
The German (or Hungarian) and Roman (or English) chamomile has been very popular with herbalists for thousands of years. Some of the health conditions that benefit from chamomile usage include but are not limited to;
- Preventing and heal ulcers.
- This herb is a popular natural treatment for various digestive issues because it is able to relax the smooth muscle of the digestive tract.
- Diarrhea can be helped by this herb.
- A compress made from chamomile can help prevent wounds from becoming infected and can also help speed up healing. It also helps treat other infections such as yeast infections.
- Chamomile is able to stimulate the immune system’s infection fighting white blood cells.
- Chamomile can help relax other muscles besides the digestive tract such as the uterus making this herb highly recommended for various women’s health issues.
- Chamomile can help relieve arthritis-related joint inflammation.
- Chamomile can help relieve anxiety, stress and depression.
- Some studies have shown that this herb may be able to control blood sugar levels making it a valuable tool in diabetes management.
Chamomile is considered one of the best herbal remedies for psoriasis because of its various actions in the body. Firstly, chamomile is the top herb recommended for digestive issues and because it is able to help flush out toxins in the liver and kidneys this may help fight psoriasis naturally. A liver cleanse is one of the top recommendations for treating psoriasis naturally because toxins and longstanding waste can increase the risk of psoriasis flare-ups and chamomile can help in this way.
Another reason that this is considered a top herbal remedy for tinnitus is that in some sectors, excessive growth of candida albicans which is a type of yeast commonly at the root of most cases of yeast infections (candidiasis) has been blamed for the development of psoriasis symptoms.
Candida albicans occurs naturally in and on the body and infections only develop when candida albicans levels are not kept within normal levels and excessively grow. Chamomile kills candida albicans as well as other harmful bacteria which helps to get rid of candidiasis which may be one of the root causes of psoriasis.
In addition, as mentioned previously, this herb is very soothing and many psoriasis sufferers commonly deal with anxiety, stress and depression relating to this chronic condition which only worsens psoriasis symptoms and chamomile contains compounds that have mild sedative and mood elevating effects which can help eliminate these issues.
This herb also contains azulene compounds which have anti-inflammatory effects on the body. Excessive inflammation is also sometimes blamed for psoriasis and this herb can help to bring high inflammation levels down.
Using chamomile for psoriasis natural treatment
Chamomile tea is the easiest way to use this herb. To make a refreshing, pleasant, apple-flavored infusion (tea), add two to three teaspoons of chamomile flowers to a cup of boiling water and steep for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain and drink up to three cups daily of this infusion.
When you make this tea, as it is steeping, allow the fumes from the flowers to engulf the face completely if you have psoriasis lesions on your face which is a method which has helped many sufferers.
You can also use a chamomile tincture or other commercial preparation and simply follow the directions on the packaging on usage. If you make a homemade tincture (herbal extraction), take ½ to 1 teaspoon up to 3 times a day.
You can also add chamomile flowers to a hot bath especially when you feel stressed, anxious or depressed and be sure to inhale the vapors as well which have been shown to be beneficial for many psoriasis sufferers.
As an herbal remedy for psoriasis or any other condition, chamomile is generally safe but in some cases it is not recommended such as;
- If you are allergic to chamomile’s botanical relative ragweed.
- Very high amounts of chamomile preparations can cause nausea and vomiting.
- If you are on any other medications, talk to your doctor before using chamomile as there may be adverse herb/drug interaction.
Even though it is an important herbal remedy for psoriasis, as with most if not all natural remedies, you need to give it time to work and be patient and persistent.
If you are looking for an effective herbal remedy for psoriasis, you certainly need to give chamomile a chance which will help you in your fight against psoriasis. For more on what is included in the holistic approach for defeating psoriasis besides using herbs, you need the Psoriasis Revolution guide which has helped thousands of psoriasis sufferers around the world break free from psoriasis. Find out more about this proven guide, here.