When considering herbs for psoriasis cure, there are quite a number that you can choose from including sarsaparilla which has intriguing possibilities as a natural treatment for this chronic skin disease. But why should you consider this herb if you are interested in natural herbal remedies for psoriasis?
What is sarsaparilla (smilax officinalis)?
This herb belongs to the family which also includes onion, garlic, lily and tulip and is also known as Mexican, Honduran, Ecuadorian, American, Jamaican and Vera Cruz sarsaparilla. It is the roots and rhizomes (underground stems) that are used for natural treatment.
This herb actually has an interesting past as it was widely used in the 19th century as a treatment for syphilis and the root beer made from this herb was usually ordered after men visited brothels. Scientists do say that this herb is not effective against syphilis but it may have other healing benefits such as;
- Congestive heart failure due to the diuretic (eliminates water retention) properties from compounds that it contains known as saponins. Diuretics are used to fight the fluid accumulation that is often associated with congestive heart failure but it is important to discuss using this herb for this purpose first with a doctor because this is a serious health condition.
- Another serious health condition which requires discussing using this herb first with a medical practitioner is high blood pressure which can also be helped by the diuretic action of this herb.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) can also be helped by the diuretic action of this herb which helps to eliminate premenstrual fluid retention.
- Some liver protection properties have been noticed in this herb.
Sarsaparilla for psoriasis
The reason that sarsaparilla is sometimes recommended when someone is interested in herbs for psoriasis cure is because preliminary studies in various parts of the world have shown that it may be able to treat psoriasis, eczema, leprosy and a few other skin diseases naturally.
While the mechanism is still not very well understood on how this herb fights psoriasis, it is believed that this herb is able to eliminate toxins from the bowel and help to reduce the level of inflammation as well as dampness from the liver, blood, urinary system as well as the skin which can help reduce or eliminate psoriasis symptoms.
While the research is not conclusive on this being one of the top effective herbs for psoriasis cure, it is still worth a shot as you try to find a treatment for this chronic skin disease that will work for you.
Using sarsaparilla for psoriasis
This herb has a sweet taste that soon turns unpleasant. Make a decoction by adding one to two teaspoons of the powdered root to a cup of water and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes and strain. Drink up to 3 cups a day.
If using a sarsaparilla tincture (alcohol extraction), take up to a ½ teaspoon three times a day. Follow package instructions if you buy commercial preparations.
While this herb is generally safe, some issues that you need to be aware of include but are not limited to;
- Consuming large amounts of this herb can cause a burning sensation in the mouth, throat and stomach.
- Some people may be allergic to this herb. If this occurs stop using this herb or decrease dosage.
- Anyone over the age of 65 should start with a very low dose and gradually build up if necessary.
- Do not give to children under 2 years of age.
- Not recommended for pregnant or nursing women.
- Talk to your doctor first if you are taking any other medications as there could be unpleasant herb/drug reactions.
While sarsaparilla could possibly be another of the effective herbs for psoriasis cure, there is still much research to be done.
But in the mean time, discover everything you need to know about the most effective herbal remedies for psoriasis as well as other effective natural remedies that will keep your symptoms at bay by getting your copy of the Psoriasis Free For Life holistic guide. Find out more about why this is the most important holistic guide you will ever own on psoriasis natural treatment by clicking here.