When living with psoriasis, you can either learn to defeat it or it can defeat you. Defeating psoriasis does not mean that you completely cure psoriasis since at present, there isn’t a cure for this chronic skin condition. Defeating psoriasis simply means finding a way to ensure that this disease does not prevent you from living a fulfilled life. With that in mind, here are some coping techniques to adopt after being diagnosed with psoriasis.
Coping effectively with psoriasis definitely requires implementing several self-help strategies to prevent you from getting “down in the dumps” and asking yourself questions like “why me?” that do not empower you but increase your sense of feeling like a victim as well as increasing your stress and discomfort levels with this disease causing you to just give up.
Living with psoriasis and not letting it get the best of you requires an attitude adjustment in order to implement the following strategies which while they may not cure psoriasis will definitely help to reduce the severity of frequency of psoriasis flare-ups.
Living with Psoriasis Strategies
1. The first coping strategy is to take care of yourself which means proper nutrition or following a diet for psoriasis, frequent exercise, plenty of rest, limiting alcohol intake, and so on and so forth. Doing all these will greatly promote your wellbeing and reduce some of the risk of developing psoriasis symptoms.
2. Become educated about this chronic skin condition and do not simply rely on your dermatologist to give you all the information you need. Ask questions and do your own independent research since there are may be new treatments for psoriasis that you doctor may be unaware of. Ask questions especially on various treatments so that you fully understand the risks and benefits of each treatment method so that you can make an informed decision since what will work for one sufferer may not work for you and vice versa which is always the case with most if not all recommended psoriasis treatment methods.
3. Get involved with your treatment plan which in addition to getting educated about this condition and the treatments also means finding the right doctor for you whom you are comfortable with and who is experienced and skilled. While your doctor may not have all the answers, you need to be convinced that he or she has a more than adequate knowledge base to pull from to answer your questions. And if you do not like your doctor which is totally subjective, find another one.
4. Another important aspect of living with psoriasis is ensuring that you follow all instructions relating to the treatment regimen you are on and being persistent. You need to keep up with the plan and give the treatments that you and your doctor decide on or even home remedies for psoriasis and other natural psoriasis treatments, time to work before you decide whether they are effective or not.
If ineffective after giving them adequate time to perform, simply try another treatment. There isn’t one psoriasis treatment that will work in all cases as mentioned previously so you do not need to become frustrated about a treatment that worked for someone else but is ineffective for you. Don’t stop trying to find the treatment or combination of treatments that will help keep your psoriasis symptoms at bay or to a minimum.
5. Get your friends and family on your side by talking to them honestly about your disease to help them understand so that you do not feel so alone and isolated from everyone important in your life.
6. If possible, join a support group for people living with psoriasis as this can be an invaluable resource. Talking to friends and family about your disease is important but let’s face it, they will never know the experience of living with psoriasis. A support group will help you to find comfort and have fun with others with this condition and it can also be a great place to find information on new treatments that your doctor may not know about.
7. Probably one of the most important strategies for living with psoriasis is having a sense of humor about your experiences and life with this condition. Laughter is a great way to relieve stress and help you have the right attitude and perspective when confronting this condition.
Living with psoriasis can make or break you and only you get to decide what it shall be. Being proactive and helping yourself deal with this condition while still living a full and vibrant life is the best way when faced with the challenges of this condition. For more self-help strategies as well as natural methods to prevent psoriasis flare-ups using holistic (mind, body and spirit) methods, the Psoriasis Free For Life guide is an invaluable resource that has helped many psoriasis sufferers around the world control this condition. Click here for a review of this resource.